Ditch the canned Sloppy Joe mix for this healthier version. A quick and easy weeknight meal EVERYONE will love!
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound 94% lean ground beef or ground turkey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup ketchup (no sugar added)
- ¼ cup Low sugar BBQ sauce (I like Stubb’s Spicy BBQ sauce)
- ½ tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- Optional: ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
4 sprouted/whole grain or gluten free buns (I like Dave’s Killer Bread)
1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese
Optional: Jalapeno slices if you like it spicy
- Heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic, onion and bell peppers; sauté for 5 minutes or until onion is translucent. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Brown turkey or beef in skillet. Season with salt and pepper
- Once turkey is cooked, add the onion/bell pepper mixture back in. Mix in ketchup, BBQ sauce, Worcestershire, vinegar, and mustard. Add optional cayenne to spice it up.
- Stir mixture well and simmer on low 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with, cover melt cheese for 2 minutes
- Transfer meat buns and top with optional jalapeno slices.
Pair with a roasted veggie side for a balance meal.
Find more delicious healthy recipes on our recipes pages HERE